Friday, January 05, 2007

Alberta Straub redux

Hey, all. A couple posts back I wrote about the mixological wonder that is Alberta Straub. I just heard from Alberta and it seems that she is more anxious than ever to move to Chicago. She doesn't have any solid plans but she's asked me to spread the word. I'm just a cocktail geek with a little-read blog so it's unlikely that my doing so will be of any use to her but I would be thrilled if she started doing her thing someplace that I could visit without having to buy a plane ticket. So, here goes. If you own a bar or know someone who owns a bar, or even if you just know someone who tends bar at a joint where a charming, talented, supremely inventive bartender would be welcome and appreciated please let me know. Leave contact info, questions or comments in my comment section and I'll make sure that it gets to Alberta.



















In the meantime, to learn more about the woman the San Francisco Chronicle called "The Alice Waters of Booze" just plug her name into your favorite search engine. She is not your average, every day beer-slinger. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of beer slingers and I'm a big fan of dive bars and beer joints but if you want your bar or cocktail lounge to stand out from the crowd you need to hire someone like her. There are places in Chicago to get a well made cocktail but I can't think of one place that has anyone remotely like Alberta. Read a little about her to see just how creative mixing drinks can be.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At January 08, 2007 5:41 PM, Blogger erik.ellestad said...

Hey! Stop trying to poach our best bartenders for your personal drinking needs!

Dammit, now I'll have to come to Chicago for drinks!

Erik

 
At February 10, 2007 8:49 PM, Blogger snookydog said...

Alberta - where are you??? We miss you! Jennifer & Jim

 
At March 10, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger KellyH said...

I live in Chicago, I don't have a bar, but I did come online tonight determined to find Alberta Straub. I am a foodie who read her profile several months ago in imbibe magazine. I aspire to be to food what Alberta is to drinks - and I haven't even met her yet. My style is sort of a "health-nut-fusion" such as mixing raw vegan dishes with traditional southern indulgences like fried okra or roasted chicken depending on the guest's preference. Anyway, dying to meet her and talk to her, possible business venture maybe? Please help me get in touch with her - Chicago will LOVE her! My name is Kelly, reach me at kellynakkerAThotmaiDOTcom. P.S. my birthday is Jan 5, the day of your post.

 
At March 14, 2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Kurt said...

Kelly, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad The Handy Snake turned up in your search for Alberta info. I've passed along your note to Alberta. She's not online much and she's very busy with a new project but I hope you will hear from her soon.

As for Alberta's project, I will certainly post more details as soon as I have them and the Flighty Hostess gives me the okay.

 
At June 23, 2007 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alberty now has an online show, called Cocktails on the Fly (www.cocktailsonthefly.tv)

Shot in a Bay Area kitchen and presented in short, 3-10 minute segments, the show has something for everyone - from drink enthusiasts to aperitif aficionados.

Check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home